Dental Sealants for Madison, WI
Preventive dentistry is something we talk a lot about at Oak Park Dental. This is because we believe preventing a problem from happening is better for you than attempting to fix a preventable issue. The sooner we start working to head off problems, the better. Dental sealants are one of the best ways to protect teeth from cavities, especially for younger patients as they start to grow their permanent teeth.
What are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants consist of a thin, undetectable layer of clear plastic, which is painted on the uneven chewing surfaces of your teeth; especially your back teeth where it can be hard to brush and remove bacteria. This coasting is meant to block plaque and food which are the primary causes of cavities and the destruction of tooth enamel.
Who Should Get Dental Sealants?
It is recommended that young patients undergo this procedure as soon as possible once they've received their permanent adult teeth. This is to prevent tooth decay from occuring in existing molars and premolars. Here is a list of patients who could benefit most from dental sealants:
- Children and teens between the ages of 6 and 14 (the group at highest risk for cavities).
- Smaller children in cases where baby teeth have deep depressions.
- Adults who don't already have cavities or fillings in their molars.
How is the Procedure Performed?
Applying dental sealants takes just minutes to complete for one of our dentists or qualified hygienists. The procedure is painless, which is helpful in establishing a good association with the dental chair for your child.
- Your teeth are examined for existing tooth decay that needs to be treated.
- Next, the teeth to be sealed are cleaned and thoroughly dried.
- At this point, an acidic solution is used to roughen the chewing surface of the teeth to ensure a secure bond.
- The teeth are again rinsed and dried.
- Finally, the sealant can be applied to the tooth enamel and hardened with the use of a curing light.
Dental sealants will typically last for 10 years, but it is important to receive regular checkups to make sure the sealants remain intact. We can touch up sealants as needed.
Make an Appointment for You and Your Children
If you have children at the right age for dental sealants, or you would like to find out if they would be beneficial for your, schedule an appointment with Oak Park Dental today. Our caring, experienced dentists are always happy to answer questions and discuss the treatments we recommend. Our team is proud to serve patients from Madison, WI and the surrounding communities.