Community and Charitable Involvement

 

Oak Park Dental recognizes that serving the community makes us better individually and collectively. Beyond the walls of the Madison dentist office where we work to provide the best dental care to patients, we make it a priority to contribute to our neighborhoods.

Dr. Jana Gyurina believes that we make a living by what we receive but we can only create a meaningful life by the time, talents, and service we give. She works with several women and children’s health organizations including the Give Kids a Smile Program and the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Dr. Alena Mehtani has also given much of her time to do pro-bono dental work in underserved communities in both India and China.

 

Give Kids a Smile

The Give Kids a Smile Program was founded in 2002 in St. Louis, Missouri and later launched nationally by the American Dental Association in 2003. Since then, over five million disadvantaged children have been the recipients of dental health services and procedures – free of charge. About 10,000 dentists along with 30,000 dental team volunteers donate their talents and time every year to make these services available to kids.

The mission of Give Kids a Smile is to establish long term care for these children so they can benefit from proper dental care throughout their young lives and into adulthood. Every year, the Give Kids a Smile day is celebrated nation-wide on the first Friday of February. The organization’s events in conjunction with this day work to bring awareness to the ways the Give Kids a Smile Program can enhance the lives of disadvantaged children across the nation through proper dental health.

 
 

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Series celebrates the survivors of breast cancer and their journey to greater health. It also honors and gives tribute to the individuals whose lives have been cut short due to the disease. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure series has been lauded as the world’s most successful and largest fundraising affair.

Founded in 1982, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure has grown exponentially since then. From one race in Dallas of 800 people to a global movement of over 150 races with one million participants on four continents, the organization continues to resonate with people across the world.

The Susan G. Komen organization has invested over two billion dollars in breast cancer medical care, education, and support. Since the beginning, they have played a valuable role in cancer research by funding such efforts with 889 million dollars. The organization focuses on serving those with the fewest resources, including uninsured and low income families. They are second only to the United States government in breast cancer research funding.

With every local race, 75 percent of the net income from each event goes directly to local community programs that offer breast cancer education and pursue breast cancer research. The remaining 25 percent of funds raised is invested in the Susan G. Komen organization’s national research goals and grant training program. In 2016, they expect to have 16 international races held in nine different countries with 150 happening globally.

One of the main methods pursued by the Susan G. Komen organization is education. They actively serve in community centers, places of worship, schools, and local clinics to reach out to all populations about cancer education. The organization provides cancer literature in 26 different languages so more individuals and families can get access to accurate information on cancer warning signs and how to access preventive care. They also works to inform communities about local breast cancer resources available to them, specific to their needs and concerns.

Dr. Gyurina is honored to be able to support these and other worthy causes in her community. You can read more about her here.


Request an Appointment